Author Topic: EasyOS version 0.9.7 released  (Read 1283 times)

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EasyOS version 0.9.7 released
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:18:10 AM »
Blog announcement here:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/easyos-097-released.html

Testers welcome!

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
Re: EasyOS version 0.9.7 released
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
ha ha ha i am first.
md5sum ok lol

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »

frugaled to folder  on sda6
grub booted

getting the no space on device error as was in 096 but fixed in later easybeaver [edit:fixed in quirkybeaver871, i havent looked at easybeaver094] via iso
frisbee usb0 connected
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:33:18 PM by aarf the dog hater »

Keef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
I downloaded the devx via sfsget. Ran the BootManager which told me it looks for sfs's in repository/easy-0.9.7, however this was named easy-0.9.6. Renamed it, moved the devx
 and it was found by BootManager.
No other problems so far.
[EDIT] This may be user error  :-[
Checked the USB stick I used for install, and the directory is correctly named (0.9.7). Need to check this out further...
Didn't take long. I had recycled the BOOT_SPECS file, but not updated "Q_DISTRO_VERSION=".
Ignore me, I'll go away...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:43:05 AM by Keef »

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
nope cant get past no space on device error deleted stuff rebooted but still get the error, so cant install anything via ppm nor by clicking on small downloaded pet of under 500K
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:35:29 PM by aarf the dog hater »

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
edit: easyshare is fixed and does see inside the phone after one enables it on the phone
tired sleeping now
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:43:58 AM by aarf the dog hater »

scsijon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
If you mean from
The odd thing is, from the time that Easy brings "up" the eth0 interface, it can take from 5 to 26 seconds before the router responds and activates the cable, so that ifplugstatus will return "Link beat detected".
that you can connect to anything via the nbn router?

That seems to be the way the nbn works nowadays, especially with satellite, we have been having that happen for at least six months now for any isp. Many messages and complaints from all on Whirlpool.

Standard connection  method, according to nbn.

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
If you mean from
The odd thing is, from the time that Easy brings "up" the eth0 interface, it can take from 5 to 26 seconds before the router responds and activates the cable, so that ifplugstatus will return "Link beat detected".
that you can connect to anything via the nbn router?

That seems to be the way the nbn works nowadays, especially with satellite, we have been having that happen for at least six months now for any isp. Many messages and complaints from all on Whirlpool.

Standard connection  method, according to nbn.

I don't have nbn. It is an ethernet and wifi router, this one:

http://bkhome.org/news/201712/totolink-a2004ns-fast-wirelessethernet-router.html

The other end is wifi to my phone hotspot.

The problem is the router itself, not the Internet connection. If a cable is plugged in from a computer to the router, the 'ifplugstatus' or 'ethtool' should detect "Link beat detected", or in the case of ethtool "Link active', which just means the cable is alive.

The router should respond immediately when a cable is plugged in, and make it alive. However, my router software seems to be on a very long checking loop. Also, very variable, as I said, it could be 5 - 26 seconds, that was why it worked sometimes, other times timed-out.

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
One thing I didn't mention in the blog announcement: the kernel is now 4.14.75.

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
BarryK wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Easy 0.9.7 installed via EasyDD onto USB stick.............................. (hey, I have to ask: did you know when one uses EasyDD from inside any running Easy OS version, that once you open EasyDD & choose the gz.file and pick the correct USB stick, and hit "Continue", that the EasyDD popup disappers with no dialog and/or install status box pops up, and you're left to wonder what is going on? g. No finish popup, no communication popup, nothing. Yet, EasyDD installs the .gz file IF you know enough to wait however long despite being in the dark what is going on. Perhaps a dialog box of what's going on and when EasyDD is finished would be nice  )

OK, I will look into that. It has been awhile since I used the GUI capability of easydd.

i have similar concerns when the extracted .img file [edit: the .gz file is clicked on]is clicked on, takes a while to extract then delete the original all the while no popup dialog as to if its still going or not

aside: all indications are i have recently been hit by a parasite to the brain not joking please take this into consideration when reading my first draft posts. often later i realize and fix the posts. will try harder but am already aware of this and trying hard.
edit: so will try a new posting regime in that i write to geant consider what i have written for a day or two then copy and paste to here so as not to waste ppl time
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:46:52 AM by aarf the dog hater »

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 09:42:39 PM »
can run latest updated TOR symlinked from its install in easy64-0.4 install folder

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 02:43:29 AM »

partview icon is missing from the bottom tray however if i click between bluetooth and glipper icons, partview will open.
note the sda6 with ample vacant space that 097 wont write to using ppm

was thinking that this no write to device may have something to do with bootspecs

BOOT_DISKID='0xb05cd80c'
BOOT_PARTNUM=6
BOOT_FS='ext3'
BOOT_DIR='easypyro097'
WKG_DISKID='0xb05cd80c'
WKG_PARTNUM=6
WKG_FS='ext3'
WKG_DIR='easypyro097'
Q_DISTRO_VERSION=0.9.7

this is what i had first then tried with a / after both easypyro097
both booted and both wouldnt write to the folder/partition

just for good measure this is my grub4dos entry
title sda6  easy pyro64-0.9.7 qfix=nox to get to commandline
  uuid 1e2a1c58-60c1-4e01-9062-57074e65b677
  kernel /easypyro097/vmlinuz   psubdir=easypyro097  pfix=fsck install_specs=UUID=1e2a1c58-60c1-4e01-9062-57074e65b677:ext3:easypyro097
  initrd /easypyro097/initrd.q 
ps: havent had to do hard shutdown because of anything in 097 not even frozen touchpad and keyboard as was the case in 096
have booted 097 quite a few times now
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:01:54 AM by aarf the dog hater »

rufwoof

• View Profile
0.9.7 desk container reset issue
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 06:38:21 AM »
New dd to MMC/SD card (2GB) from OpenBSD (gzip -d compressed image, dmesg | grep MMC to identify sd3, disklabel sd3 to identify the slice rsd3c, dd if=easy.....img of=/dev/rsd3c bs=1M).

Love the desk container now, really tight (I've not managed to break out of it (yet :) ).

One issue (mentioned this before) is if you open up Container Manager and select the desk container without having made any snapshots and click erase, then it doesn't revert to pristine, but instead results in a black screen when you next launch the desk container desktop icon (.xsession ...etc are created, but its not 'as before' (pristine)). Perhaps not what a user should be doing anyway, but a potential issue for those that might try to roll back the desk container to 'brand-new'. Needs to either ignore the erase if no snapshots created, or remove the .xsession content in a better way to avoid the blackscreen subsequent launch.

Great how EasyOS is evolving. Outstanding. Thanks Barry.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq

rufwoof

• View Profile
0.9.7 desk container tray volume mixer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »
Desk container trays volume icon, selecting Mixer doesn't work (can run alsamixer manually from the command line OK).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq

drongo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
Just booted Easy OS 0.9.7 on a Toshiba Satellite C50. I have had trouble booting this machine into Linux from USB sticks or CDs/DVDs, probably because of UEFI restrictions. Booted to Quirky Beaver64-8.7.1 with no problems. Created a bootable USB with EasyDD and then booted straight into EasyOS with no problems.

Nice to hear the barks again!

What should I be testing, everything has been OK so far?