Author Topic: EasyOS version 0.9.8 released  (Read 1730 times)

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EasyOS version 0.9.8 released
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
Blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/201811/easyos-098-released.html

Let me know your experiences!

scsijon

• View Profile
Re: EasyOS version 0.9.8 released
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »
Looks like i'm first this time (for a change). Luck of the draw to be looking at the Easy site at the wrong time I guess.

Installed to a memory stick ok.

First problem found is when starting, the Initial Menu doesn't show the Easy Version, just shows a ${distro_version} where 0.9.8 should be;

Second Problem is during First Startup and initial settings the Set Hostname:done screen's OK box is partially hidden behind a ?yellow? Processing, please wait....
  You need to find and click it before something further happens (like in my case the Firewall Setup Screen appearing).

And we are through to JWM
Menu's look OK, no strange characters or off line spaces
And Seamonkey can find the Easy webpage
Shutdown and restart

This time the menu shows the Easy Version number
and it's repackaging the q.sfs as I set it to do, veryyyyyyy slow though even if it does say it's Parallel mksquashfs: Using 2 processors (maybe the stick is on the way out as i've had it for a while).

And that xine problem from the last release seems to have dissapeared as the anime dvd started correctly first time
Also the music levels are clearer and a better quality.

Cold Boot shows version ok and seems to go on to jwm,
Loads devx/firefox sfs's ok (already downloaded)

Spoke too soon, it's having problems with the dvd drive and reading the video dvd in it, although it eventually sorts itself out and behaves it clearly hunts for some time before stoping and displaying a cd symbol.

And firefox is hopelessly slow to start from menu, gives an error when start via a console screen too, i'll look at it later.

Good start though, I shall test more when i get up again, like Thunderbird, build latest hplip 3.18.10 (big bugfixes and new devices), Xmahjongg to start with.

It might be 1500 now, but i've been up and on since 2100 last night chasing problems for others, and my typing is full of errors and having to being fixed as I finish a line.
I need sleep.
So much for being retired!

EDIT: I woke up with a thought that I wonder if the problem with the dvd drive is the driver or the chipset, I shall see what it is and list it in this message tomorrow when i'm totally awake.

EDIT2: As promised

It's a Dell Optiplex 745 USFF which has a IntelĀ® Q965 (ICH8) Express Chipset (82Q965/ 82801H Pair)https://www.manualslib.com/manual/624327/Dell-Optiplex-745.html if you need it but use the one on the right, it's the size of a decent dictionary.

And for the dvd drive problem, it's not working when you start with a cd/dvd already in, just seems to error and fails with the cd in, but is ok if you add the cd/dvd after easy is already up.

EDIT3: for ff problem (calls itself Nightly for some reason)

in Preferances I have set

>Under General> Unticked Startup to always check if Nightly is your default browser
>Under General> Unticked automatically update search engines

> Under Privacy and Security> Tracking Protection> Always
and "do not track" signal> always os marked
>Under Permissions> Prevent accessability services from accessing your browser is now ticked (there is a readme worth reading)

> You need to opt_out under Nightly for automatically allowing then Nightly Data Collection and Use your data, but the related area is blue'd out in Preferances . HM, mozilla's webnpage seems to say this shouldn't be so
> It also says there should be Firefox Updates section, which isn't there.

I'm going to unload and delete the ff I have at this point. Too many things not making sense for now, sorry barry.

EDIT4: Tried downloading ff with SFSget came down ok and installed into it's own container. Only initial comment is that sfsget is shuting down when the package is down and therefore must be restarted and set up again for each package. A nusance for those wanting a number of them, I wanted to d/l and try chromium(, which I haven't used since, I think, it came out of beta). can this auto-shutdown of SFSget not happen please, or is it needed for the install part to happen.

No, don't like this Nightly thing, it's not the ff I know and love, I shall d/l ff from moz and see what gives, maybe I shall have to work with an old ff version.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:32:05 PM by scsijon »

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
frugal to directory in sda
booted after qfix=fsck did a scan
had high hopes that my wifi would connect but its is still not seen as reported in the 097 thread
usb cable connect in frisbee to android phone connected via wifi but only loads pages after easyshare mounted it. talk about messing about!
havent tested other stuff except seamonkey not in a container which posted this
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:54:34 AM by aarf the dog hater »

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:52:51 AM »
And firefox is hopelessly slow to start from menu, gives an error when start via a console screen too, i'll look at it later.

Are you using a slow flash stick? That is the usual culprit. Did you use easydd to write to the stick, and what speed did it report?  -- in my case, I am using sticks that have at least 20MB/sec sustained write speed, and get reasonable responsiveness when running Easy.

Before releasing 0.9.8, I clicked on "sfsget" and downloaded Chromium, installed into a container, it created a desktop icon, clicked that and Chromium started fast.

Did not test Firefox, but that reminds me, SeaMonkey had a slow startup in a container, that I posted about recently:

http://bkhome.org/news/201810/seamonkey-delay-at-startup-fixed.html

This is fixed in the SM package, however, as FF is built from same code, it likely has the same problem. Make the change in the Preferences, see if that fixes it.

Um, no, I just tested it. Installed FF in a container, clicked the desktop icon, FF started within one second.

We are back to you maybe having a very slow flash stick.

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:13:44 AM »
Responsiveness also depends on whether q.sfs got copied into ram at startup, or just loaded from the flash stick.

Running "losetup -a" in a terminal should reveal which.

In my case, q.sfs is not being loaded into ram, as the 'init' script in initrd determined that the flash stick is fast enough.

Rameshiyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »
I downloaded chromium and after that selected existing option. However no chromium browser at my desktop or menu. Even after rebooting, no chromium. What went wrong ?. Like wise download Firefox SFS and selected container. Got desktop Firefox with container. However there's a delay in starting. In my opinion it is not fast as 0.9.7.  my requirements is to install chromium with or without container.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:02:23 AM by Rameshiyer »

Keef

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
Frugal install to laptop HDD. No problems, easiest one so far. I've setup wifi connection with nmtui, which was straightforward. Had been using SNS on last version, and this was quite stable. It has been on recent Woof-CE builds that I've had problems with dropped connections, although PeasyWifi had always solved this.
SM in container connects to internet, and also got a 'ping' via the console container.

scsijon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
Responsiveness also depends on whether q.sfs got copied into ram at startup, or just loaded from the flash stick.

Running "losetup -a" in a terminal should reveal which.

In my case, q.sfs is not being loaded into ram, as the 'init' script in initrd determined that the flash stick is fast enough.

losetup is showing it's loading from .q_ro for q.sfs and /mnt/sdb2 for devx and firefox.

Other answers in earlier message as EDIT2 and EDIT3, the firefox problem wories me, almost as if a 'modified' version is up there.

regards
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:02:46 PM by scsijon »

scsijon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
Interesting, I CAN download from the SFSget directory, but trying for any compatable packages via PETget gives me

Resolving distro.ibiblio.org... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution
and
wget:unable to relokve host address 'distro.ibiblio.org' ?

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:22:25 PM »
I downloaded chromium and after that selected existing option. However no chromium browser at my desktop or menu. Even after rebooting, no chromium. What went wrong ?. Like wise download Firefox SFS and selected container. Got desktop Firefox with container. However there's a delay in starting. In my opinion it is not fast as 0.9.7.  my requirements is to install chromium with or without container.

"existing" was not an appropriate choice. That is to insert the sfs into an already existing container. I will have to provide more guidance in that window - - basicall say, if in doubt, choose to run in a new container.

Rameshiyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:31:31 AM »
SFS pet manager shows Chromium already download. How to install the same with or without containe. Now not showing any install option. How to choose to run in a  new container. Download chromium SFS already available however not installed. Please help me Sir. My install is full install.(internal hard-disk method)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:18:35 AM by Rameshiyer »

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 03:49:05 AM »
after running current fatdog800pre my wifi card is then seen by the next puppy i boot so booted 098 and then not easily navigated the default connection for wifi and then posted this with seamonkey not in a container
wifi card issues are looking to be a software thing not a hardware fault as i first thought

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:52:51 AM »
am getting the super block in the future nonsense and thus not booting to desktop requiring a removal of .session folder

GCMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
@BarryK I can see distinct changes in behavior. Nice.

One thing I feel is helpful to many is a similar/same implementation of the Network icon on the taskbar that @01Micko introduced several years ago that is used by all WOOFCE PUPs. That icon implementation allows a mouse-over to see LAN connection and traffic.

I was just bitten spending too much time chasing the system only to find my network cable had popped out. It would have been evident in a mouse-over on a mainline PUP.

If you think it a helpful addition, of course.
Man's Best Friend is a partner companion. Do yourself a favor and get a PUP.

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 09:44:42 PM »
posted from seamonkey started from the locked world icon on the desktop using wifi connected in the default connector from the desktop icon