Author Topic: EasyOS version 1.0 released  (Read 2435 times)

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EasyOS version 1.0 released
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:50:52 AM »
Decided that it is time to start the numbering from 1.0!

Announcement here:

http://bkhome.org/news/201901/easyos-version-10-released.html

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
Re: EasyOS version 1.0 released
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 04:38:32 AM »

seamonkeyed to this. no problems so far.
frugal to a folder on sda6
like the theme.
big test will come after i have a charging cable disconnect illegal shutdown, still havent verified that any easyos can get past this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:45:01 AM by aarf the dog hater »

aarf the dog hater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »
if you click on easyos in the recommend the distrowatch link https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?waitingdistro=467&resource=links#new you get to https://easyos.org/ which still doesnt have a link to this forum

rufwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
Phenom X4 2GB ram, radeon/ati hdd frugal install ... and Easy Container (Xephyr) working well

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq

L18L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:55:40 AM by L18L »

GCMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
@Barry

I can verify what @aarf the dog hater reports about Distrowatch.

I know you dislike DVDs, but we must remember ALL desktop PCs, even today, come with DVD drives. Many of us (maybe you too) connect Desktop, small and large, to TVs (HDMI). I think you report the same.

I am hopeful you lose your disdain, and will continue to provide "full" support for DVD, equivalent to the total session management you used to provide before you decided a real dislike for those of us who find value and ease of use of Live distro management via DVDs. Many or most of us, once booted, our system run for very long periods before we shut them down. And, unlike USB, DVD/Bluray performance is EXTREMELY consistent vs USB crapshoot performance.

This is NOT an attack, it only attempts to point to a continued request to continue to consider this community of users.

Now, this post is raised because you suggest in your blog that there are REAL limitations in DVD use. I am unsure what you are referring to. And, aside from the SPECs I am looking for how a RAM based operation poses a limitation or a risk.

Could you elaborate in this thread or on your blog what you are considering a "limitation" and if known, are there recommended circumventions to gain performance or behavior change for operating EASY in a Live mode, please?

And, is EASY-Live a security risk (is that what you are referring as a limitation)?

Thanks in advance if you take a moment to share.

Man's Best Friend is a partner companion. Do yourself a favor and get a PUP.

engenulf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
Hi Barry, new poster here, though I've been following your work from afar for several years.
Regarding upgrading from a 0.9.x version to the new 1.0 version, I installed Easy to USB flash drive with the Windows method you outlined. It worked great. How do I upgrade to 1.0? Does the software overwrite the older version, or does it install the new version alongside the old one? If I want only the new one, do I need to delete the old version first? Thanks for your help.

engenulf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
Never mind... I finally found your upgrade-downgrade tutorial page. I'm very pleased with EasyOS 1.0 so far. It doesn't recognize my built-in intel wireless adapter, but I have a USB Ralink which works fine.

rufwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Some screen shots of EasyOS 1.0 with tmux, mc and a tput based console (tty) menu setup, and firefox portable (that auto updates) inside the Easy container ....
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1016469#1016469

Phil7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
Barry,

Love Easy OS and the new theme/background is awesome. So far everything working great. I do notice that for sound I have to unmute and increase volume and still no sound on my system until I open the Mixer and turn up the Pcm to hear sound. Otherwise very happy with this OS. I went to ShieldsUp and checked for file sharing, and all ports and common ports for vulnerability and it passed all perfectly as in Stealth mode. So that was cool.

Do have a question. Does the current kernel 4.14.91 have protection from the Spectre and Meltdown problems on older hardware?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

BarryK

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 05:14:57 PM »
Do have a question. Does the current kernel 4.14.91 have protection from the Spectre and Meltdown problems on older hardware?

If you look in /etc/modules, there is the .config, also at /proc/config.gz

Can't quite remember, but there is one option to protect from... STPIB? ...whatever, that option is disabled, as it slows down operation considerably, also requires a special gcc compiler.

rufwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 08:25:23 AM »
On a single user desktop setup, there are far easier alternative exploits than using Spectre/Meltdown to the extent I wouldn't worry about it. More of a concern for multi-seat (untrusted sharing)/servers. If a hacker had gained sufficient access in order to attempt to run a Spectre/Meltdown exploit I can't see why they'd go down that complicated path to (maybe) see meaningful other things (data), when they could attack the likes of X, setuid's, heap spraying/buffer overflows ...etc. to more likely achieve root access quicker/easier.

The timing (race) conditions that opened up a potential exploit have been closed in more recent browsers (they added in delays), so as browsers are the more common means to be hacked, that hole has also been plugged.

GCMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »
@Rufwoof. Check PM

GCMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
Barry, as you have led us into Multi-lingual use, I found this additional from ETP to be consistent with your direction.

Might you consider it as useful in your EASYs?
FYI

rufwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
For any frugal'ers I've uploaded a tar file containing a 362MB easy.sfs (for x86_64) with (hopefully) some fixes for when running the Easy container (moving icons around, changing background, jwm theme ...etc.) that I personally found a bit iffy in 1.0.

More details here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1017693#1017693

Few other utils also included (tmux, mc, fbgrab) for good measure (in truth I forgot to unload those before making the remaster  ;D )

Just be mindful that my tweaks may break other things. Fundamentally I just use the Easy container for general use and the main desktop for admin tasks, along with making snapshots and doing restores of both. So that was the extent of my testing. If you create/use other containers etc. then that remaster might not work as intended.