Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EasyOS version 0.91 alpha released
This blog post says it all:

https://bkhome.org/news/202010/easyos-du...lease.html

As this is a new series, I am thinking will reset the version numbering, so the first official release will be 1.0.

It is aesthetically pleasing to compile everything from source, then build a distro, configuring a lean and mean system.

Testers welcome!
Thank you for your amazing work on EasyOS. Unfortunately, this release fails to boot on my laptop (Acer, 4G RAM, Pentium-series processor), it freezes at the initrd screen. Both 1.3 and 2.4.1 work fine on the same laptop.

For the fun of it I downloaded the sfs of this 0.91 in a container in Pyro 1.3. It does work within the container! Nmap seems to work. However, Libreoffice and Seamonkey do not start.
[Image: Screenshot.png]
despite BK's best efforts i have got this manual frugal to boot. how? not telling but it aint usual straight forward.
how ever cant get my wifi adapter seen even after quite a bit of extra mucking, so posted this from 241

bluetooth in 0.91 ? you gotta be kidding right! lol
Thanks for testing!

I have edited the blog post, with this news about failure to boot. Rodney, Feodor and David have also sent me emails, informing of failure to boot.

Tentatively, I think I know the cause. The kernel is 5.4.70 and was compiled in a running Easy Dunfell, on my Lenovo PC, which has a i3 CPU, 8gen. Ditto for SeaMonkey and LibreOffice.

I think that the compiler has used the available instruction set of the i3 CPU, rather than a generic x86_64 instruction set. That would account for the kernel failing to boot, and SM and LO failing in a container.

What I will do now is replace the kernel in the USB-stick with one from Buster, see if it boots.
Yes, that's it!

I replaced the kernel and modules in the usb-stick from Buster, and the usb-stick booted on my Compaq.

I then typed "seamonkey" in a terminal, and got "illegal instruction".

So I know the cause of the problem. Probably if your CPU is i3 8gen or later, you should be ok.

Give me a couple of days. I don't know why the gcc compiler has done this. But I will modify OE and set the CPU to "nocona", as I did in the Pyro series. Then will recompile everything in OE. Then will recompile the kernel, SM and LO in a running system. That's a good couple of days work. Friday, I will be out most of the day, so tentatively looking at having 0.92 ready by Saturday.

Thanks for your patience!
(2020-10-15, 12:36 AM)BarryK Wrote: What I will do now is replace the kernel in the USB-stick with one from Buster, see if it boots.

yes thats what i did too, just overwrote the vmlinux with the one from busta241
Processor : 2x Intel® Celeron® CPU N2815 @ 1.86GHz
didnt test seamonkey as i dont use it, ny portable slimjet works ok but as mentioned, got no internet connection with my wifi adapter not being seen by anything
@banned
You need to copy the kernel modules also, for your wifi to work.

On the Dunfell usb-stick, second partition, easyos/.session folder, create lib/modules and copy 5.4.59 folder from Buster. So you will have easyos/.session/lib/modules/5.4.59
(2020-10-15, 01:21 AM)BarryK Wrote: @banned
You need to copy the kernel modules also, for your wifi to work.

On the Dunfell usb-stick, second partition, easyos/.session folder, create lib/modules and copy 5.4.59 folder from Buster. So you will have easyos/.session/lib/modules/5.4.59

yes that worked now internet connected thanks
bluetooth icon also now appeared in the tray but everything looks like it will do file transfers but the file transfer dont happen. says it will and does ip connect via bluetooth but i havent actually done the business by that connection. have same wifi on both phone and easyos
perhaps i just need to push more buttons to get the file transfers by bluetooth to work but i have failed at this after extensive tries and button pushing
posted with slimjet portable in dunfell 0.91
Quote:Probably if your CPU is i3 8gen or later, you should be ok.

Hi Barry, 

"8gen"  is the pertinent part of the cpu spec? I have failures to boot with frugal installs immediately after leaving the grub4 dos screen with both

1.  HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC      Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
2.  Lenovo T-420                                  Intel® Core™ i5-2540 CPU @ 2.60GHz

Pupsysinfo does dont report a "gen" number.

Cool project, being able to run an up to date .deb capable buster is a nice touch.